Thursday, September 6, 2007

Movie Review: Rocket Science

Rocket ScienceOh, who gives a shit! Who needs a fucken baby anyway, you wanna make your self useful around here, why don't you get that goddamn tv fixed? -- Justine Last from The Good Girl

Idealism is guilty middle-class bullshit. -- Jeff from Suburbia (1996)

We have to overcome the idea that everyone is the same. -- Justin Cobb from Thumbsucker


Last Spring I saw Michael White's Year Of The Dog. The film is not what I expected at all. May I just say that whoever marketed the film should have been fired. Relationship/date movie my ass. Come on folks, Year Of The Dog may be the best example I have seen of the effects of the suicidal blandness of the suburbs in some time. I am a child of suburbia and I have no problems with that, but I am not going to yank your chain. Diary of a Mad Housewife is the real deal. The Ice Storm is a documentary to me. I felt like I was watching a home movie when I dragged Phil Goldberg to go see that in 1997. Little Children was wishful thinking for me. I knew all too well, I wanted to say sure, that is about right. Tell me something I do not know, Todd Field. The Virgin Suicides was like watching a filmstrip of my youth via trips to the Aspen Hill Shopping Center during the 1970s. Sadly, there were no Libson Sisters for me to be friends with while growing up. In one way or another, all of these films hit a nerve. Good or bad, they just hit nerves...continue reading this review at Geeks of Doom!

No comments: