Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Weekly Comic Book Pulls for 10-10-07

Weekly Comic Book PullsAtomic Robo #1
This is one book I’ve really been looking forward to, as I’m a big fan of writer Brian Clevinger’s webcomic “8-bit Theater.” The series is about a robot created by Nikola Tesla in 1923, which goes on to have a series of adventures across time. This issue, he fights a German scientist who is performing illegal experiments. I have to say though that it didn’t really work for me. There are some good ideas here, but a lot of the humor fell flat. There’s also some storytelling issues as there are a number of panels that are unnecessary and break the pacing of the story. The art looks very good though. Artist Scott Wegener has a style that’s one part Mike Avon Oeming and one part Mike Mignola. I really enjoyed the look of the book and the designs for the characters, but again there’s just a bit of work to be done on the storytelling. As this is the first comic work I’ve seen from both of them, I’ll continue to pick up the series, but I’d like to see a bit of improvement. ---2 out of 5...come see what else Henchman21 has been reading at GEEKS OF DOOM!

No comments: